Design-build · Architectural Restoration · General Contracting
Specialists in the architectural restoration, rehabilitation and repair of old and historic structures and design-build services. Serving the Greater Lehigh Valley, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and western New Jersey for more than 25 years.
R. J. Doerr Company, LLC is an award winning design-build, architectural restoration and general contracting firm located in Easton, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1989 on the guiding principles of quality construction, traditional craftsmanship and a commitment to customer service, the firm is recognized as an industry leader throughout eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey. While providing both new and remodel custom design and construction services for residential, commercial and public/non-profit clientele, the firm has developed a seasoned staff of in-house tradesman and a dedicated team of top-tier subcontract specialists. The companyhas a proven record of managing complex, challenging projects and providing cost-effective building solutions. R. J. Doerr Company is perhaps best known for the successful completion of numerous commissions, funded both privately and publicly, in historic preservation, restoration and rehabilitation. This body of work includes many National Register and National Historic Landmark properties. The firm is often called upon to both design and construct period-sensitive additions to historic residential structures.
John Updike Childhood Home · 1884, Shillington, PA. Multi-phased restoration of the Victorian-styled childhood home of the acclaimed American author to the period of his residence from 1932 to 1945. Design collaboration: R.J. Doerr Co., Eclectic Architecture, Phillipsburg, NJ and Archive Ltd, Easton, PA
John Taylor Leigh Mansion · 1861, Clinton, NJ. Exterior rehabilitation of Italianate mansion and Town of Clinton muncipal building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Architect: Eclectic Architecture, Phillipsburg, NJ
Walker Residence ·c.1850, Pipersville,PA. Restoration and expansion of a rare mid-19th century plank-framed Delaware valley I-house and numerous outbuildings as a modern family retreat. Design-build: R. J. Doerr Co.
Matsen Residence · c.1810, Clinton Township, NJ. Facade restoration of late Georgian/early Federal dwelling. Architect: Pickell Architecture, Flemington, NJ
Watts Residence, Bethlehem, PA. Addition to 1930s era cape cod located in the hearth of the Central Bethlehem Historic District. Architect: Kerry Kowalchuck, Bethlehem, PA
Van Nest-Hoff-Vannatta Farm · c.1760-1900, Harmony Township, NJ. Publicly funded effort to repair and relocate two of the farmstead's 19th century timber frame wagon houses for the Harmony Township Historical Society. Architect: Eclectic Architecture, Phillipsburg, NJ
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church · 1749, Oldwick, NJ. Public/Private funded exterior restoration to 18th century landmark church building in northwestern New Jersey. Architect: John E. Bolt Architects, Clinton, NJ
Roseberry Homestead · c.1790, Phillipsburg, NJ. Publicly funded exterior envelope restoration of late-Georgian/early Federal stone dwelling operated by the Phillipsburg Area Historical Society. House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Architect: Eclectic Architecture, Phillipsburg, NJ
Nain-Schober House · c.1758, Bethlehem, PA. Public/private funded multi-phase project to restore one of Bethlehem’s few surviving log buildings for interpretive museum purposes as part of the Moravian Museum of Bethlehem. Restoration re-established the building’s early appearance with flared eaves, tile roof, rendered ashlar pargetting, period millwork and builder’s hardware. Structure is a contributing resource of a National Historic Landmark District.
Tayloe Office Reproduction, Bethlehem Township, PA. Design-build recreation of the distinctive 18th century office outbuilding of the Colonel John Tayloe House located at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. This challenging project replicated the original structure’s bell-shaped roof in exacting detail. Project was recently featured in the March 2011 issue of Fine Homebuilding in an article by Doerr foreman and supervisor Noah Woodruff. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
Smith Residence · c.1780, Milford, NJ. Exterior restoration of Federal style frame farmhouse. Project included dormer reconstruction, porch reconstruction, cornice restoration and siding replacement.
President’s House · Lafayette College · 1867, Easton, PA. Removal and replacement of the Second Empire style home’s large, identifying wrap-around porch. The house was built as a personal residence by President William C. Cattell and has been the home to subsequent presidents since 1888.
Laman Carriage House · c.1860, Finesville, NJ. Phased restoration of Victorian era frame carriage house of the original Reigel family homestead. Phase I work focused on the structural shoring and complete replacement of the barn’s foundation and floor system, and reconstruction of lower wall sections. Later phased work will include window, siding and roofing work and the restoration of the barn’s distinctive cupola. Architect: John E. Bolt Architects, Clinton NJ
Brushwood · Eckert Residence · 1904, Bernardsville, NJ. Portico restoration including the replication and replacement of six original 30” diameter ionic columns, each standing more than 20 feet tall and weighing in excess of 1200 pounds. Brushwood is a Classical Revival style country estate constructed for Alice Isabel Ballantine of the famed New Jersey brewing family. The well-preserved residence reflects the full grandeur of the Gilded Age. Structural Engineer: Barry Isett Associates, Allentown, PA
Miller Residence · c.1770, Springfield Township, PA. Addition and exterior site improvements to vernacular Georgian-styled Pennsylvania farmhouse of noted authority on American antiques. Project included exclusive use of eighteenth and nineteenth century hand tools to shape and fabricate all wood finish materials. Interior finishes include the replication of period moldings and casework. Design: Alan Miller
Heyer Mill · c.1840, Bushkill Township, PA. Multi-phase restoration and conversion of 19th century grist mill to a residence. Work accomplished to date includes structural stabilization and exterior wood finishes restoration program. Later phases will address reconstruction of exterior masonry bearing walls, systems and finishes required for single-family residential conversion. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
Moravian College South Hall · c.1875, Bethlehem, PA. Federally funded project to restore historic original window frames, sills, sashes and ornamental metal window hoods. Structure is a contributing resource of a National Historic Landmark District.
Strasser Residence · Willow Vale Farm · c.1790, Asbury, NJ. Full interior and exterior restoration of a vernacular, late-Georgian/early-Federal era, frame farmhouse and new additions. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
The 1752/63 Moravian Smithy, Bethlehem, PA. Period reconstruction of working 18th century blacksmith and locksmith shop located in Historic Bethlehem. Operated as a living history site by Historic Bethlehem Partnership, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. Structure is a contributing resource of a National Historic Landmark District. Architect: David Scott Parker Architects, Bethlehem, PA and Southport, CT
Fritchman Residence · c.1800, Springtown, PA. Kitchen and sunroom addition to Federal era residence. Architect: Benjamin L. Walbert Architects and Planners, Allentown, PA
Bachmann Publick House · 1752, Easton, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Structural stabilization and complete restoration of colonial period tavern. Partially funded through a Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Keystone Historic Preservation Grant. Owned and operated by the Northampton County Historical and Genealogical Society. Architect: The Martinson Group, Inc., Easton, PA
The Strand · c.1830, Easton, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Facade restoration and commercial storefront rehabilitation. Architect: Archive, Ltd., Easton, PA
The Mixsell Museum & Illick Library · 1833, Easton, PA. Northampton County Historical and Genealogical Society, Easton, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Facade restoration of high style Federal era brick townhouse and additions.
Snidtker Residence · c.1830, Lower Mount Bethel Township, PA. Master bedroom, bathroom and family room addition to Federal style brick farmhouse. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
Private Residence, Williams Township , PA. New custom contemporary residence that includes salvaged 18th century carriage barn frame. Architect: Thomas Michna of Los Angeles, CA; Design-Build components by R.J. Doerr Co.
Pennsylvania Bank Barn · c.1830, Williams Township, PA. 19th century frame bank barn relocation, structural remediation and restoration and cupola addition. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
Children's Home of Easton · Firmstone Mansion · c.1860, Easton, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Exterior restoration of converted Victorian era residence. Work included reconstruction of Carpenter Gothic bay windows, balconies and porches, and copper roof replacement. Partially funded through a Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Keystone Historic Preservation Grant.
Caufield-Norman Residence and Barn · c. 1770, Williams Township, PA. Interior and exterior restoration of and addition to 18th century log house. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
Camacho-Lane Residence · c.1885, Easton, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Exterior restoration of Queen Anne style residence in the College Hill neighborhood surrounding Lafayette College. Recognized by the national Trust for Historic Preservation.
Scribner Residence · Deemer Farm · 1825, Williams Township, PA. Complete interior and exterior restoration of Federal era stone farmhouse and outbuildings. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.
Schiavone-Ahnert Residence · Keller Mansion · c.1815, Saylorburg, PA. Interior and exterior restoration of high style Federal period residence.
Parsons-Taylor House · c.1758, Easton, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Interior and exterior restoration projects.
Moravian Waterworks · 1762, Bethlehem, PA. National Historic Landmark recognized as the first municipal pumping system to provide domestic water service in the United States. Operated by Historic Bethlehem Partnership. Structural remediation of deteriorated floor systems and interior rehabilitation including visitor accessibly improvements. Structure is a contributing resource of a National Historic Landmark District. Architect: David Scott Parker Architects, Bethlehem,PA and Southport, CT
Pelligrini Residence · c.1910, Easton, Pennsylvania. Extensive interior restoration of Revival/Beaux Arts style residence originally designed by noted area Architect William Michler and located on College Hill.
Paul Residence & Carriage Barn · c.1830, Easton, PA. Complete interior restoration including period moldings and casework, new kitchen and stairway. Carriage barn conversion for loft apartment space.
Harrington Residence & Garden House · c.1850, Tinicum Township, PA. Additions to 19th century schoolhouse-residence. Design and construction of Rural Gothic style garden house.
The Tannery · 1761, Bethlehem, PA. Interior and exterior visitor accessibly improvements to property listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Operated as an historic site by Historic Bethlehem Partnership. Architect: David Scott Parker Architects, Bethlehem, PA and Southport, CT
Toedter Residence · c.1900, Easton, PA. Various restoration projects on Tudor style residence listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Phoenix Hose Company · ca.1857, Easton, PA. Interior and exterior rehabilitation of 19th century firehouse for commercial/retail use. Property listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Design-build: R.J. Doerr Co.